Product Safety Testing Services
Elliott Laboratories has been assisting clients with product safety certifications on a wide range of products for over 25 years. We can help you achieve certifications and listings with UL, CSA, TUV or any of the other major product safety certification authorities. In addition to domestic product safety certifications, we can also help you achieve compliance with international product safety requirements, including CE certifications and CB schemes. In essence, when you work with Elliott you have an experienced team of Product Safety specialists operating on your behalf, expediting the certification process and minimizing disruptions to your product release plans.
Product Safety Testing Overview:
A broad range of product safety requirements exist in all major markets around the world. Specific safety standards vary depending on the type of product, the environment in which it is intended to operate, and the country where it is being sold. However, most electrical product safety standards are generally confined to three primary areas of focus.
Mechanical Safety standards cover hazards related to the physical characteristics of the product, such as:
- Product height and weight distribution (tipping hazards)
- Fan design (danger to fingers and small children)
- Sharp edges
- Pinch points, including exposed roller mechanisms (potential injuries to user)
- Enclosure openings (risk of electrical shock, etc.)
Electrical Safety standards cover hazards related to the product's usage of electricity, such as:
- Evaluating the access to hazardous voltages during normal equipment operation or routine maintenance
- High potential tests to determine the dielectric strength of all primary circuitry and isolation from secondary circuitry
- Leakage current tests to determine how much current is flowing on the safety ground of your equipment (extremely important with medical equipment)
- Over-voltage and surge tests to ensure that the product will react properly to a fault condition by blowing a fuse or a circuit breaker, thereby protecting the operator
Environmental Safety standards cover hazards resulting from a product's exposure to extreme environmental conditions. Typical environmental tests include:
OSHA requires that anything in the workplace that plugs into a main circuit comply with appropriate product safety standards. Some products that fall outside of this description may also require compliance. At Elliott, we will work with you to develop an efficient plan for addressing your specific product safety needs, from early prototype layout, to pre-testing and agency compliance testing and submittal of test data. We are your one-stop-shop for all of your Product Safety needs.